Monday, March 14, 2011

Day 2 -Verbal Diagnostic Test

It was a pleasant break on a Sunday, hanging out with a good friend of mine, who came here for the weekend.

Today was a tiring day at work, so it was just 1.5 hours I could devote that too with not a lot of energy. I tried solving the diagnostic test on Verbal ability from OG12.

The questions were of good quality, and yes, I realized the need for a very fresh mind to solve those questions. I found it very difficult to concentrate on the passages. Overall, I felt it tough as I simply guessed answers to most of the questions. I am yet to make a review of the OG questions. Probably that should be done in the morning hours of the day with a fresh mind. 

When I read the RC passages today, I could hardly assimilate them to answer to the questions. And CR is no easy deal. It was absolutely demanding the reader's concentration, and I lost it today owing to the tiredness I have today.

Material covered:
OG12 : Pages 27-45

Tips:
Study for verbal section when the mind if fresh to accept more data.
To concentrate better on RC, read books and news article covering everything under the sun.
Reading a book everyday for atleast an hour nonstop is a must to develop concentration abilities and speed.

Overall, this is not a positive sign. All I can say today is that, I have a long road ahead, and nothing can be taken light with an exam like GMAT. This is totally unlike CAT(Common Aptitude Test for Indian Management Insitutes) where skipping a topic also will not matter in some cases.

Plenty of learning is ahead, and the journey is definitely compelling with learning something new each day. 

With quant, what I need is practice, and with verbal, what I need is methodology to eliminate and choose. Hoooo… That was bad for a start; but failure is the stepping stone to success. 

1:41 am, March 15, 2011: Feeling quite disappointed with my RC results, I went on to look at one of the RC practice videos from gmatpill, and 'wow' was the feeling I got. When you know how to split the passage into teeny tiny bits that can be easily captured, RC will no more be a pain. But yes, even this is a herculean task. Needs plenty of practice, without which any person will tend to follow his normal methods.

1 comment:

  1. Those students are looking for GMAT verbal Section preparation, then they should go for e-GMAT to learn the concept of GMAT verbal section. With their course, you can increase your verbal score by 8+ points and GMAT score by 4+ points. The best thing is that they offer 25% of their course FREE of charge.

    ReplyDelete